Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When to Write, Writer's Block


I spent a good deal of yesterday evening on youtube, watching videos where more or less famous writers talk about various aspects of writing. I came across many interesting things in those videos, but I managed to try and implement two today. The first "tip" was that there is no such thing as writer's block.

You sit down and write about your writer's block, if it really is that bad. For me, though, my daily block was something I thought was a question of motivation instead, though, but I'm beginning to think that it might not be. I didn't feel like the words were begging to be written most of the time, so I put it off and put it off and put it off.

Today, though, I just did it. I sat down and wrote. And though I hadn't felt "now is the time" when I sat down, it didn't take long for me to get into what I was doing. As stupid and basic as this might be, it was a bit of an eye-opener for me.

The second tip was to write early in the morning/day. That way, you have done the day's writing practically before the world has gotten into gear for the day. Today, I wrote from around 9:30 am to 11:30 am. I wrote more than my daily goal, too. And the best part is, now I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day. I can do whatever I want. I can edit, do sales stuff, or just play a game.

Together, those two things are so valuable to me. Previously, I would waste most of the day sometimes, just waiting for the moment where I felt it was time to start writing. Sometimes, I would sit down to write at 10 am and not get anything written until 11 pm. I felt bad about it, and chained to my chair in a sense. Not so, anymore.

Of course, I may have been driven by the fact that I have to go and babysit in a few hours, but I will make an effort to write early, from now on. And for now, I will be satisfied, and reward myself with playing a game. See you later, blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment